Jul 29, 2011

FETE ‘TILL YOU SWEAT!!!

Hot humid air lingers over the city and in dark, cool warehouses across Toronto revelers of Caribana are limbering up to Soca, Calypso and Steel Drum music in preparation for the coming festivities!  Colourful costumes laden with feathers and beads are getting last minute alternations and the anticipation is mounting.


The Scotiabank Toronto Caribbean Carnival weekend (commonly known as Caribana) is here! 

I have always been a strong believer in consulting the experts in uncharted waters so I am handing this week’s blog over to Charmaine and Adama from the aNd Logistix team.

Charmaine’s ritual:
Coming from St Lucia, an island famous for its sun, fun and tropical flavors, it has been my tradition to “jump-up” in a carnival band since the age of 5. Caribana is the perfect substitute to the St. Lucian’s fete: J’ouvert.   Every year, I go through the same ritual. At the beginning of spring, I pick my favorite costume and the band I will be jumping with. Then I familiarize myself with the latest Soca beats and practice the newest dance moves.  In preparation for marching and dancing on the Lakeshore, I jog and have salads for lunch and dinner (7 days a week!!). A week before, I do a final costume fitting  to make sure to my efforts  have paid off and I attend the different festivities to get into the Caribana mode.  The big day, my husband and I leave the house early in the morning to join the other excited revealers at the Exhibition Place to start a weekend of partying.   Caribana is the highlight of my summer. My little one is turning 5 this year and I hope she will start her own tradition.  



Adama’s insight:
Moving to Toronto, I was very surprised when I found out about the festivities of Caribana. It was nice to see that the City of Toronto and Scotiabank were putting so much effort into keeping the Caribbean culture alive. For me Caribana is everyone’s fete, from ages 3 to 93 and people participate in Caribana for different reasons:
-          Some like it for the music and the dancing, watch the promo video
-          Some especially appreciate it for the island flavors
-          Some love it to learn more about the culture and tradition

I personally enjoy Caribana the most for its 3 days of partying!!


Thanks Ladies – have a fun-filled weekend

Hope my “Free Idea” makes your Friday!

To learn more, please visit www.andlogistix.com

No comments:

Post a Comment